Getting Ready to Move
Hooray! Your offer was accepted, Now what?
If you’re waiting (not so patiently) to move into your new home but aren’t sure where to start, don’t fret! We have a list to help you get started on everything you’ll need to do to set you up in your new home.
- Submit your deposit (normally a bank draft or wire transfer) to your Realtor to be held in trust
- Prepare your downpayment so it’s ready for your lawyer
- Complete your change of address forms at your local post office
- Arrange to meet with your lawyer or notary
- Book in a moving company and/ or truck for your possession day
- Contact your insurance company and talk with your agent about any necessary changes to your policy and about having it switched over
- Instruct BC Hydro and your cable and Internet providers to disconnect your services the day after you move, and have the new service activated several days before you arrive in your new place
- Notify employers (past and present) of your new contact information.
- Touch base with your mortgage broker.
- Inform ICBC of your change of address.
- For apartment and condo properties; book an elevator for move-in/move-out.
- If you are moving into a strata property, inform them that you are a buyer and arrange payment of maintenance fee
Here are some more top tips to make your moving day as smooth as possible:
- Put all of the items you will need that day (toothbrush, change of clothes, etc.) in a separate suitcase or bag for easier access.
- Keep cash on hand to tip movers
- Leave out some basic cleaning supplies and tools
- Make arrangments for young kids and pets to be out of the house that day
- Pack a cooler with ice for perishable items
- Make sure your phone is fully charged and you have an easily accessible charging cord
- Do a final walk-through of your old home, check every cupboard, shelf, and drawer